Bright is a year-round destination, so there is always something happening around the region.
There’s plenty of local history and scenery to take in, whether you are looking for stunning mountain views or visiting the past. The region was home to gold mining, and the Kelly gang and other bushrangers have contributed their stories to some of the towns.
- Mount Hotham – head out of Bright and one of Australia’s premier snow venues is about 45 minutes away.
- Falls Creek – if you head over Tawonga Gap to Mt Beauty you also have access to Falls Creek, and then onto the Bogong High Plains.
- Mount Buffalo – cross county trails take you up the Horn Road, or snowplay at Dingo Dell where there is a cafe. More information on the Parks Victoria site.
- Bright – starting just past our back door, you can follow the Canyon Walk, with several convenient suspension bridges before you arrive in Porepunkah.
- Mount Buffalo – this has been one of Victoria’s oldest adventure resorts, and there is extensive walking to be had, and the chance to cool off in Lake Catani or one of the waterfall pools on a hot day. See the Parks Victoria site.
- Bogong High Plains
- Rail Trail – The Murray to Mountains Rail Trail connects Bright to other towns in the region, including Wangaratta, Beechworth, Myrtleford and Rutherglen. Of course you can cycle as much as you want of the more than 100km of trails, and be assured that there is always somewhere to stop for sustenance along the way!
- Mountain biking – just out of Bright we have Mystic Park, an extensive set of trails to ride.
- Swimming – the Ovens River flows past our back door, and further up you have the waterhole in the middle of town, with slides and a diving board. For more thrills you can float down the rapids on a tube and arrive back at the house, or keep going down the canyon into Porepunkah. Further afield there is the Buckland River and numerous waterholes and swimming spots to beat the summer heat.
- Paragliding – several operators allow this experience at Mystic Hill, just outside of Bright.